LAB Hardware Developer
ARVORE is looking to hire a technically adept, creative individual to complement our team. You will have the opportunity to work on innovative immersive and narrative-driven XR experiences, iterating and prototyping with a high level of creative freedom and with the opportunity to guide the direction of some of these endeavours.
Our process emphasizes teamwork, agility and multidisciplinarity. We are looking for a passionate and self-motivated person with a positive attitude and a genuine team player, who likes to share knowledge and is open to learn from others. We embrace problem solvers, those who aren't afraid to experiment and fail and are ready to create something new.
ARVORE LAB is an R&D initiative that approaches challenges and ideas from a human-centric and physical/digital standpoint.
By collaborating in an overlapped multidisciplinary lean unit, going beyond your expertise, you will help drive projects and experiments through various areas such as to software (unity, C++), hardware (pcb, microcontrollers, components, manufacturing), computer graphics (3D), design (strategy, interaction, product, graphic), digital fabrication (3D printer and other CNCs) and physical construction.
LAB Hardware Developers are the wizards who are responsible for colliding bits with atoms. They design and build the mechatronics of prototypes and products developed in the LAB, such as the electronics, firmware, interface software, sensors, actuators and physical mechanics of our creations.
It is a R&D oriented position, paving roads from early prototypes through final production.
- Field trips and peer-to-peer contact with users.
- Interfacing and cooperating with other teams from ARVORE and A/DYNAMICS, pushing the R&D pillars in the entire company as a whole.
- Actively participating in brainstorms and processes that involves other areas of the company.
- Keeping up to date with the latest trends on microcontrollers, communication and general hardware
- Exploring and testing Hardware Development Kits from our strategic partners
- Creating and building prototypes: protoboards, perma-protoboards, etched PCBs, Release Candidates
- Specifying hardware architectures according to project requisites such as: cost, schedule, modularity, manufacturing scale and sites, logistics.
- Managing external providers: PCB manufacturing and assembling, electronic and mechanic components and other types of hardware
- Structuring, composing and keeping Hardware documentation up to date, such as blueprints and Bill of Materials.
- Cataloging and organizing newly acquired tools and components in the LAB’s inventory
- Managing, support and maintenance of our in-the-field prototypes.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with team members of different disciplines
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with a high degree of independence and an innate intuition for task prioritization
- Willingness to observe, absorb and modify their own work based on many avenues of artistic criticism
- Constantly looking for self-improvement, learning new skills and delivering the highest quality output
- Always giving and receiving constructive and creative feedback
- Fluency in English language
- “Why not?” way of thinking
- Investigative and self-driven
- Open and curious
- Hands-on, doer approach
- Balance between theory and pragmatism
- Passion for learning new tools
- Flexible to different processes and daily routines
- Having interest and knowledge on emerging tech: IoT, Wearable Computing, Neural Networks, Digital Fabrication
- Absolutely organized, as we live surrounded by a sea of teeny-tiny components, delicate tools and machines.
- Interest on XR
- PCB tools: Eagle, KiCad or Altium
- Microcontroller platforms: Arduino, Raspberry Pi
- Programming Languages: C++, Python
- Manual dexterity with tools required in the day-to-day: soldering, etching, machining, assembling, handling tools
Nice to have
- Be familiar with Google G Suite, Trello, Slack and Github.
- Previous knowledge or experience with VR and AR content is desireable.
- A passion for Games, Movies, TV, Art, Animation, Electronics, RPGs, Theater and narrative experiences would be a great plus
- Experience with Unity.
- 3D modelling skills.
- Experience with 3D Printers.